Thursday, November 02, 2006

wow!

23 visits since yesterday.
coming from melbourne, i understand. but from sydney..? and central australia? those two completely are beyond me. but oh well. at least it's getting hits. now i can kinda moniter where hits come from, this is quite exciting.

okay, so my horn exam....

well, i sounded good this morning when i was warming up! and i walked in the rain to berekely, which is really far, particularly in the rain. urgh.
and then warmed up again.
and i played. she said that i had every chance of passing if i had done my written and audio folio. which i had. check one.
then i had every chance of passing, based on scales, pieces and sound quality.
she said that she'd be impressed if i got a sound out of the darn horn, considering i haven't played brass before.
so, i felt ok. i knew i could get a sound out.

and so, my pieces went....er.....not great. but oh well.
my scales went quite well. my first scale, the first thing i played, was a concert F major. After I'd played it she kinda looked shocked at me and said "Wow, you shouldn't be able to do that!" meaning, "For somebody who's never played brass before, this is excellent!" Hey, I felt quite special. And so, it turns out that my setting of the embouchre is quite old-school, almost top-lip style, almost on the inner bottom lip. apparently really good for creating a nice smooth sound. which is nice. horn players will vary on their embouchre, and their RH position (which i haven't really mastered, as displayed by my 'March Slav' today. oh well!)

we talked for most of the exam. haha. she's the female version of.. "he's such a dude!". she really is. :)
and then i had to do a mock teaching thing. where i had to teach her how to put her RH in the bell. and i think i did alright!
she said that it was exactly right, and she complimented that i'd be a great teacher. that's nice to know :)
so, i really think i could run away with this horn! i love playing it, i love the tone of it. even though it's really really hard, i enjoy it so much..!
seriously, i'm one of those people that has to try every single instrument. at least just for kicks.

No comments: