Saturday, November 11, 2006

so this is what it's like...

*to fall in love....
I was listening (and am again!) to some of the 8 Pieces for Clarinet, Viola and Piano (op. 83) by Max Bruch....and found them to be so BEAUTIFUL! Seriously, you have to hear them. And it makes me want to go out and find myself a viola player. Because I HAVE to play these. They're stunning.
I also fell in love when I listened to the Brahms Horn-Violin-Piano Trio in E-flat. Wow, I HAVE to play this too. I just have to make sure the people lined up want to do it..! That is stunning too. Wow. I'm fully for this trio thing..!
And I guess it's good to play with a variety of people - this is perhaps one of the only times one gets this freedom to do this. I HAVE to do these.

*to enjoy music for music's sake.
Yesterday (Friday) I went to three friends' prac 2-2 recitals.
First up was Sam's flute exam. Apart from Mardi (her teacher), her examiners, and her accompanist (in a manner of speaking) I was her audience :). It was great to listen to her - I've never actually heard her play in performance (and yeah, playing together where she gets to transpose-at-sight horn exerpts/exercises, or playing together, just for kicks....doesn't count!)
Then we listened to Michael's exam. Yay for pianos! Hehe.
Then we sat around in the con foyer for a while, bumped into a few people, sat down and talked to them for a while.
We asked Nick, who's looking like a no at the moment, but we HAVE to have him!
This was another "fall in love" moment....I remembered that Phil had given me about six pages of the score of a Durufle trio. And yes, the trio is scored for piano, flute and viola. Hehe. :P Ideal, you say? I haven't actually heard a recording of it, but it looked interesting!
Then went to library to borrow more horn orchestral excerpts books...and then went home for lunch. Bummed around with Sam for a while. Then headed back to uni to see Amy's recital. Amy is AMAZING.

Had a very brief rehearsal with Trio Reginae before dinner. We were all tired and hot, so that didn't go very well. Am playing in a recital this afternoon/evening in Northcote..it's Em's recital, and her trio (which includes me.. :P ) is playing! hehe. Talk about getting gigs popping up!

Then went to another concert last night. It was held at Queen's, and featured Anne and Matthew. Anne played Brahms, Haydn and Liszt, as well as accompanying Matthew for Faure and a song-cycle by Martin (receiving its premiere last night!). It was a FABULOUS concert :) I page-turned for the Faure and Wright - I always underestimate how nerve-wracking it is! Haha. Oh well! At least some people (including Ron hehe!) congratulated me on my page-turning technique, and I think I am going to be Amy's page-turning protegee. What fun :)

Then went out last night with Jenny, Fi, Jac, Jonty, Sal, Ace, Flick, the Mulherrin boys (Ben & Tim), Steph, Jess and Miranda (plus a stack of the boys' friends..?! Dunno...I didn't actually meet them...) to the Night Cat. :) It was a great night! We danced the night away (ok, in a room filled with smoke urgh. But you know, it's not going to last for long, I think!) The band was this kinda fusion of rap/funk/something else. They had this DJ person, couple of singer/rapper dudes, a sax, trumpet, guitars and bass and the like. Very cool. :) We tried to make Ben dance, but apparently he's not into dancing....we even dragged him to the dance floor, where he kept insisting "No, I'm not going to dance! I'm just going to stand there!" and he unfortunately was true to his word, although a few times (throughout the night) I caught him moving to the beat..! :P
Ah, fun times. It was great to be out with those friends! Next time, I envision more of us...more people from Jude's, music, stuff....it'd be totally awesome.

Got home at about 1.30, ate some chips (thanks Jacquie!) and chocolate (thanks Plunkett!) and then I decided that I really needed some sleep, but not before having a shower to get rid of the yuck smoke smell from me. (I always find the need to do this when I go out.....which may be one reason I don't go out very much...! So much effort!)

So, I had a great Friday filled with music and friends :) There is little else I could have wanted yesterday. Tiring, but fun.
Okay......I'm done now about one day.. :P

No comments: