Friday, November 24, 2006

Leaving Melbourne..but before that..!

So, another recount.
Sorry for the incredibly linear progression in these posts, but that's just the way I think mostly, and it's a good way to recount stuff.
Can I please also note that my computer is kinda doing funny things, and sometimes misses a few letters. So, if I miss any letters, it's probably a computer error more than me. Seriously, I'm one of those kinda-nazis about letters, particularly at this moment in time.

So....

Monday
Packing
Returned horn
Returned a stack of library books to the music library
Packing
Sam helped me pack
Sent some stuff to Flick's place..she said, "Is that it?!" when she looked at my apparently measly pile of about 5 boxes and a bag. I said, "In that case, sure, I'll put more stuff!" haha.
Didn't go to MSO with Steph (Loz went though, completely unrelated to Steph and me going or not, but same concert..!)

Tuesday
Went and saw Kathy at uni to get my $200 back (will be sent cheque)
Packed
Had lunch with Steph at Corretto's. I'm gonna miss Lygon St....just even walking down there!
Page-turned for Anne's organ exam at Trinity. She (her feet and legs) went nuts - it was fantastic! I don't think I've ever really seen an organist in full flight.
Ran down straight after to see Rowan's final trumpet exam - missed the first piece (a full trumpet concerto, although managed to catch the 2nd and 3rd movts from outside the door. Then went in for the 2nd piece). He played well :)
Came home.
Called Flick, got her to pick up even more stuff of mine. Am eternally grateful for her taking my stuff.
Had dinner at Martin's place with Martin, Hilary and Xing. Ate well, had good conversation, fun times.

Wednesday
Packed.
Piano lesson was cancelled. But am thinking about pieces to be working on for next year - should be another amazing year of playing solo piano repertoire (hopefully really cool stuff!), chamber music (yay for trios etc!), as well as hopefully doing a stack of accompanying. As Trev said, "There's no reason why you can't do a Stefan and combine solo stuff with accompanying stuff!" Haha.
Even walked down to uni to get a Concert Report form, because I felt that I should get out of college for a little while. And it was a nice day.
Packed.
Went to Eddie's recital - dragged Jon along with me. (Dylan, Trev, Chris, Loz an Em couldn't come. Pity, oh well). His parents remembered me; his mother said, in the context of inviting them to my piano recitals, "Do tell us, we'd really love to hear you play, you're special to us!" Hehe. Very cute.
Watched an episode of House.

Thursday
Woke up early to do more packing and the washing.
Had to pack like crazy.
Have since sent away my stuff to Shelley's and Martin's.
Had Mag's birthday bash at College Square. Finally, went to College Square, after two years and many friends telling me about it.
Set up, cooked (I BBQed!) Haha. Very cool - although I don't cook!
We started heaps late, so Loz and I ended up only staying for a little while, but oh well, at least we were there!
Met an American dude (forgotten his name...would anybody like to enlighten me? I know he's from NJ, but goes to school at Ithaca...cool! Facebook..?!)
Came home, got ready very quickly - at least I had planned what I was wearing and everything, plus the 'game plan' of what had to go where.
Rushed out, to meet Sam and Kristen for dinner at Il Gambero.
Had dinner, had a lovely time chatting and dining :) Went to The Original Lolly Store. Unfortunately this year, I have not had the time to go shopping for Christmas or other pressies from Melbourne. Other things shall have to suffice. I also have unfortunately spent wayy too much this year, particularly in the last couple of weeks, as I have been going out, celebrating end of exams, end of year, seeing people before we all leave town etc. All this has amounted to not being very healthy for my bank balance. Where is that $200 from uni? Or the I-can't-quite-remember-how-much-$-I'm-supposed-to-get-from-Queen's-Choir-money?
Then headed to the opera.
Went to my first OA production!
It was the Marriage of Figaro. It was WONDERFUL!
I'm debating whether to write a whole thesis/review about it. But perhaps that can wait. Or I could just rave about a few things.
For example, I went with Kristen, Sam, Matt, Xing, Judy, Sum, Martin, Gareth, Ben, Tamzin, Anne, Hannah, Meg, Jesse, Ben L, Yas, Lynchy, Mel G and Nikki. I was incredibly lucky to have my hands on four tickets..! And I was incredibly happy because I knew everybody in that group, plus it was opening night at an opera I actually know about! And enjoy! (yay for B&C history!)
And we got to dress up hehe :P Which involved a dress and all.
Unfortunately, I got sunburnt during the day while cooking things on the BBQ (hey gina/gowri, could you pls send those pics hehe :P). And only noticed halfway through, when I went to the bathroom, and looked at myself. Argh! I am pink in certain areas..eek! I hope it doesn't peel...
anyway, keep raving...
Teddy Tahu Rhodes sang the role of the Count...I was so excited that I actually got to see and hear him in opera! I think he's coming back next year in Don Giovanni, so I shall have to go see that!
More raving....it was an incredibly lavish production, well, I mean, comparative to the MCO version last year (who obviously have a much smaller budget) The set was beautiful, the costumes were great, the orchestra was great (yay for the harpsichord!), the singers were wonderful. It was a great production! So, it was a great opera experience (particularly first times for several friends!). It was a great OA first for me too :) I was very excited.
At interval, saw Nick Carter, talking to Anne and Hannah and RICHARD GILL!
I so wanted to introduce myself to him, but unfortunately didn't and didn't really have the chance to.
There are so many Richards in opera hehe :P
Richard Gill is a big name in opera, and particularly is the Artistic (or musical?) Director at the WA Opera. And is a great conductor....two of my friends (Nick is not a 'friend', he's a 'person I know'. There's a difference...) get to work with him, as part of coming places in a conducting competition thingy......'twill be cool.
Perhaps Richard Gill or Mark Shiell could be my next musical person I have to meet, due to several occasions of 2 degrees of separation...! (this was like Stephen..)
Many thanks to Ben for obtaining these tickets, and for giving me so many, because I managed to invite a few friends. Unfortunately, I didn't have more, because I had a number of friends who wanted to come, and I am also a bit disappointed that some couldn't make it anyway (for various reasons, including at home - ie. not Melbourne, leaving for Sydney this morning etc! Alas, our opera experiences shall have to be another time!)

So, we decided to get some coffee (or equivilent). Kristen and I both got an iced chocolate, which was very yummy (yay for such a substantial dollop of ice-cream!).
then came home to give stuff to Martin to put in his flat, went to Ormond to give Loz her CD player back (sorry so late, my friends..!)
And ended up talking to a few friends for a little while.
Then decided it really wasn't worth trying to go to sleep for a couple of hours, because I'm afriad of not waking up and missing my plane.
And perhaps thought I should blog all this, because internet at home is a little limited.
And perhaps should try to use some of 300mb, although I have about 45 mins to do so..and I don't really know what to do with it. I can't really download stuff, coz I don't have any more space, really, on my computer haha. Youtube videos? I really don't know....Oh well, doesn't really matter.

And I guess my next post shall come from Perth.
So, to all my Melbourne friends (like, even if you're not from melbourne, but 'melbourne friends' refers to the people I hang with in Melbourne), thank you for an amazing year. I have loved this year soooo much, and I'm really sad to be leaving so soon, despite me also missing home very much.
Thank you for all the fun times, for the thoughtful things you have filled my life with, for the chats we've had, for all the laughs, for the spawning of new and extravagant ideas, for being there, for randomness, for being new friends (yay particularly musos! and those special freshers at qc, you know who you are :) ), for being good old friends, for funny musical times, for concerts, recitals, performances, for playing together, for finding and discovering new music together, for going to concerts, for helping me.
i love you all - you have all made me smile a bit more, have a bit more fun, love life that much more. thank you. i am indebted in so many ways to all my friends.

signing off from melbourne for the last time, 2006.

To yet another year of fun, laughs, music, good times, thoughts and the like. 2007, roll on.
xoxoxo

1 comment:

gina said...

If I'm not mistaken, the American dude's name is Jeff. I think. =)

I got Gowri to put the pics onto my thumbdrive, but I haven't uploaded them to my laptop yet. Hopefully I'll get around to it soon!

*sigh* Wish I could have gone to the opera.. But I had to pack... And I wasn't really in the mood.. especially since I probably wouldn't have sat near anyone I knew. Meh.

Have an awesome summer. Ttyl!

xoxo
Gina