Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I am one for-credit exam away from the end of 2nd year.

This worries me. Oh, perhaps 'worry' is not the word here...I'm a bit freaked out!
Firstly, I ain't old enough to be in third year. Secondly, I definitely don't know enough to be in third year. And thirdly, am I even ready to be in third year?! Weird...

And so, I've already had three exams (not including my horn exam last week). The Techniques Listening Test was fairly easy. There were technical hitches and so the pass mark has been altered to 50% (as opposed to 75%...this is the test where if you fail it, you fail the subject. And have to re-take the subject, and it's a core unit.)

There was no cold water on Monday morning. So I took a pseudo-shower (hot) and had to run to exams. Urgh. Even Julie asked "Have you had a shower yet, Gladys?" Haha. Georgia and Emma reprimanded her with a "What kind of question is that?". She had every right to ask it though! I'm sorry if I smelt really bad..!

Mischa didn't realise that Sam and I are in 2nd year. Hehe. Well, he had no reason to believe so. I think.
Anyway, I found out that he's even cooler than I thought. He took a gap year, and went and taught some real hard subject (not music..I'm suspecting something like physics..haha!) in a boarding school in England. Totally awesome. See, I find that musicians who take gap years (between school and uni) must be really dedicated to come back and study music. Because if you don't keep it up, you start losing some of it. And what's even more amazing in this case is that he is such an amazing musician. And he's fully into folk music, particularly BULGARIAN FOLK (the bells are ringing in my head!!!!! Yay!!!) and other folk, and he's got his own band that do sorta folk/fusion stuff! How awesome is that? And he's an environmentalist.....not that that concerns me a great deal. Oh well.
Anyway...so I've just blabbed on about somebody I think is totally awesome. Platonic love, they (I) say. You just have to meet this guy, totally cool. Ok, I'm going to shut up about mischa now..

And then we had our Techniques written exam in the afternoon.
Nick: "Let's just get this nut-baggery over and done with!"

Andrew: "I didn't realise you were so short, Gladys! I guess coz I've never really stood next to you..."
Errr....thanks, Andrew....! Even Nathan caught on. Gargh!!

So, the written exam was alright. I even managed to put a French 6th in, I was so proud of myself. And when I looked at the analysis question, I almost laughed out loud. Yep, I knew it :) It was the 2nd movement of the Bach Double Concerto in d minor (although I think it must have screwed some people around, because the 2nd movement is in F Major...I think some people started out with /III. That makes life much more difficult!) And it's the piece I really want to play!!! (2nd movement all the way...although I love the whole piece!) And the excerpt had an altered bar at the end, so that it could go Cad 6-4 -- V -- V7 -- I. Hehe. The piece actually keeps on evolving, not ending like that! Oh well, I enjoyed the piece :)

Saw Steph at Wilson Hall too....she came back to Queen's with me after our exams. We hung.

Had OB exam yesterday. Kinda freaked out, but oh well. I made some stuff up - I couldn't remember everything! Oh well. It's over, I'm so glad for that! It was held at REB, again, very beautiful. It's such a pity that I don't get the time (short of wasting precious exam time!) to explore this historical building! But I was so excited, because the 1st year musos had their Baroque and Classical exam there too!
See, you must understand....in commerce, the only people I know are perhaps the people in my tute, and the people I know who take Commerce/OB, because they're friends or acquaintances etc. But in music, you see, I tend to know most people, whether they're in my class or not. (So-and-so is the friend of so-and-so, or so-and-so played the so-and-so piece, or so-and-so is playing with the friend of so-and-so etc.) Music is much more family-like :) And they're all equally crazy and beautiful! So I was excited. Just knowing that the musos were there, makes me happy :)

And newsflash (but I don't think that he, or the people really 'affected' will read this..!):
Thanks Sam for the info! :)
Apparently Matt is taking Major Prac on viola next year..! We're trying to nab him to play with us.....because he's a violist and violinist, and apparently really good. And a real nice guy too. And it's good to work with a variety of people, until you feel convinced that this is it. Kinda a bit like a marriage (although you didn't hear that analogy from me..!), but with less rules, less sanctity and stuff like that.

Okay, I have my piano exam tomorrow. To tell you the truth, I'm a teensy bit practiced out....I'm quite tired, it's a cloudy, cold day and all I feel like doing is sleeping.
We (me, Mel, Pete and Jonty) are apparently going out for steak tomorrow night (at a steak shop?!)....and I'm having a 'date' with Lauren when her exams are over (next week?) and going to hang in McCaughey (McCrappy) with my/her Ormond/music friends :) What fun :)

No comments: