Monday, February 06, 2006

reminiscing...

Kudos to wen for this...i thought it was interesting!


10 years ago: I was in Year 4. I went on my first school camp to Rottnest Island. I sang in the Junior School Choir and we got our incredibly starched uniforms! Year 4 was a great year... we had Kinder Surprise swap days, the fazes of yo-yos and collector cards from chip packets were oh-so-cool. Oh, and the Kinder man came to our school and we all got free toys :)

8 years ago:I was in year 6. I listened to all groups of violin students playing the same song (arranged by our teacher!) of varying quality every Wednesday. We got elected for council positions at school. I remember our class only had about 3 of us (the other class got the majority of the positions! Lucky they mixed up the classes in yr 7!)

6 years ago: I started high school at St Mary's. It was scary, considering I knew about 2 people there (who weren't even really close friends.) Luckily St Mary's turned out well! I remember my first day, meeting a girl who was in most of my classes, who conveniently had her locker above mine. I remember her helping me getting my combination lock open! I met lots of new people, some who became close friends, some I haven't kept in contact with...

4 years ago: Right in the middle of my high school career. This was one of the best years of my life. I headed to the USA, to go on exchange to Westover School, Middlebury CT. There I met some of the most amazing people I have ever known. I lived in boarding school, which was an experience that I had readily dismissed at St Mary's and one that I will cherish for a long time. I visited the country where anything and everything happens, went to some of the most amazing tourist destinations (of my life so far..! It's not yet over though...!) I made some amazing friends, some of which I hold dear to my heart to this day.

2 years ago: Year 12 was the most amazing year at school. (All things considered). There was the Ball (yay!!), the power of the back seat of the bus, so many meetings to go to, so many people to see, so many things to do, concerts which were always followed by "That was our last (insert concert here) concert forever!", valedictory, oh, and the TEE exams. Ergh. It was an amazing year - I made so many more friends in year 12, did so much extra-curricular stuff I wonder how I even made it through school!

1 year ago: What a new beginning after tough decisions were made. Finally a year to really spread my wings...it was time to pack up shop and move across the country! I settled comfortably into uni life, had the most amazing first year - met so many new people, made so many new friends, hardly explored what the amazing city has to offer, had so many fun times laughing, eating, getting dressed up, talking till the wee hours of the morning. It only gives me so much to look forward to this year...!

Yesterday: Had lunch with my cuz. Not that you know, having spent the last one-and-a-half days with her was enough..!

5 songs I know all the words to: (only 5???)

1. Ok, I know this is cheating, but I will anyway.....a number of Switchfoot songs. There are definitely more than 5. And a number of songs that other people have done that are Switchfoot songs (eg. Only Hope) and a few songs that Switchfoot man Jon Foreman have done (eg. Someday We'll Know, originally a New Radicals song)

2. St Mary's school hymn. You would too if you'd gone there for 5 years. And had to learn it in choir to make sure you didn't make a fool of yourself in front of the rest of the school. Ditto reason especially as prefects had to sit on stage.....!

3. People Get Ready. Plus harmonies. Because that's the only real way to do it :)

4. When the Stars Go Blue - Ryan Adams. or the Tyler Hilton & Bethany Joy Lenz version. Next idea coming right up...

5. A Quiet Place - Take 6. You would know it too it you'd have done it for your Aural exam.

There isn't enough space for more. It could go on for a while. Like Gavin De Graw's "I Don't Want To Be". From watching too many episodes of One Tree Hill. Or some Idea of North songs. With harmonies. Because they are too cool. 'Blackbird', originally by The Beatles. But the Sarah McLachlan version, with guitar. Now that's what I'm talking about! Or some MercyMe. Or 'Hallelujah', originally Leonard Cohen, but Rufus Wainwright does it nicely :) (I'm not a huge Jeff Buckley fan...). Or some Sinatra tunes. And other jazz stuff.

Yep, I love my music....I'm moving on now....

3 favourite toys: 1. Harry, my green teddy. You def. don't know me if you haven't met him at least once! :P 2. My laptop. Ok, so not a 'toy' unless you're thinking executive, but you know, it is imperative to my survival now! 3. Sure, my phone. Although it's kinda the sim card that's the main item. As long as the phone battery works...!

3 people I tag: Tag? What does that mean? Write bogger comments for?

erm, tom, xing, well, on facebook....hannah, zoe, liza, annie, pam, iris. ok, i'll shut up now.....

DONE!! :P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha Gladys, your style of writing is so cute! :D If you don't mind, I'm nabbing this meme for my blog, I find it interesting. I like reading your blog, but man you write alot! Wow :D That's a good thing though ;)