Thursday, December 28, 2006

amused...

So, work today (I clearly find it necessary to blog this).
A most amusing situation took place today.

So, I get this email that lands in my inbox that is from my direct supervisor that says, "Hi Gladys, when you have a bit of time today, could you please drop by my office."
Right.
So, I don't really have anything to fear.
But when you get called to somebody's office, very soon, you start speculating on how all the things you have done could be mis-construed into bad things, and other various offences.
So I'm thinking, "Oh no, perhaps he didn't approve of me adding an extra hour even though the Director said to, and the employment agency has rung him up." Or perhaps, "Oh no, I'm going to be told that I'm violating email privileges at DOCEP and to better stop this behaviour, or I'll be fired."
Eek.
Really, I haven't actually been naughty or anything.

So, I go to his office (cut this story a bit shorter...considering the full story actually involves me asking about recycling, so that I can discard the big cardboard boxes that my stationery order came in!).
And he's very friendly, asking me to take a seat, so I'm thinking, "This can't be too bad..."

And it actually turns out to be quite good.

He basically says (paraphrased here):
"Ah, you've been doing very well here...you've obviously got the hang of things quite quickly. And as you know, Shelley (who is the Director's PA) is going to be going to Osborne Park next week, and we don't really have a replacement. I'm not sure what your current employment situation is, but I just wanted to ask you whether you were interested in taking this position. This would be Shelley's Level 2 position, and a contract of three to six months. Now, I'm not sure about Integrity (the employment agency) [considering they usually place temporary employees, and long-term contracts are not really their thing] but perhaps we'd employ you without the need for a third party. David (the Director) was thinking of asking you to take this position. Would you be interested?"

To which I am shocked, amazed and most amused.

And I have to tell him, "Ben, uhh....unfortunately, three to six months won't really work for me, because I will be leaving town in February.....uhh..I have to go back to university, which is over east, in Melbourne..."

"Ah, I supposed so....David will be most disappointed."

"Yeah, unfortunately, that is the nature of my work....I'm on my summer break, so......and I'm usually home for the holidays, the summer and the middle of the year."

"Well, I guess we'd be interested in having you in the department working...."

"Yeah, that is the nature of it, university takes up the majority of the year..."

"Well, I guess you're not about to give up university to work full time in the government! Oh, I guess we could only ask. David will be disappointed, I think he was quite keen to have you around for a while...I'll let him down gently"

"Yeah, tell him I'm really sorry! Actually, I'll tell hi myself too..."

"Hmm...perhaps I should provide grief counselling...." (HAHA!)

So, I found this all to be most amusing.
Looking back on it, I think perhaps I could have pushed the, 'I'd like to work with you guys again if the opportunity arises in the future, keep me on file, I'd love to.' line. Perhaps I'll do that tomorrow. And perhaps even volunteer to work this Director's PA job for as long as I can - I could keep earning, and keep myself busy, really...perhaps......(depends on how gutsy I feel hehe!). Because they don't have anybody specifically coming in at the moment......which is a bit of a conundrum for them...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

":D