Monday, May 15, 2006

Week 11?!?!?!?!?!?!

Argh!!! Week 11 already!!! This means that exams (*shudder, the E-word..) are upon us very soon.

Needless to say, life has continued busily.

A week and a day ago, on the Saturday, I went to Amy's 21st party. It was just beautiful. She'd decked out the Jude's back hall with fairy lights and small round tables with tall vases of beautiful flowers, and laden with all sorts of sweet culinary delights! And when it said 'formal', it meant formal...I'm glad I chose to wear a dress! It was really nice to see a whole heap of people looking all so dressed up - not that the people aren't beautiful already, but they looked even more so! There were ties to be matched (ahem....), photos to be taken, people to meet. I managed to meet a few new people, including an ex-JCH girl (who got indignant on my part, thank you! Yes, an image of beauty! Haha) and a fellow muso (a 1st year flautist, who should be in my Ideas class..!) Even the following week, as I sat in piano class, I got a "I didn't know you knew Amy Williams" and it was like, "Woah, she's talking to me...who is she???" But this girl recognised me from Amy's party, and possibly has seen me around uni....who knew?

Speaking of seeing me around uni.....and uni things like that...
I have funnily enough been voted as the Combined Degree Representative of the Music Students Society Committee. This is something that really amuses me, because it apparently was the only position that required a vote-off, and I got it somehow! Now, let's consider how many people at the con actually know me. I figure that I can walk through the con and say hi to tops, twenty people, because that's the number of people who would actually know me (and me, them). And at least five of my friends didn't go to the AGM to vote anyway...which leaves about fifteen people. HOW?!?! Oh well, I managed to miss the first meeting last week due to another class (for my COMBINED DEGREE....) but there's another meeting at Naughto's tomorrow night, which I shall be heading to.

The soiree was last Monday, and boy, did it go off!!! There were some stunning acts...I played for two of them (I have seriously run out of my own acts to do...!): two duets, one with Jon & Sally ('A Whole New World' from Aladdin) and one with Bruce & Will (Bruce's non-college friend) ('Lily's Eyes', from The Secret Garden). Bruce & Will were the final act and it seriously went off. I was so proud of them. They seriously brought the house down. The song is absolutely BEAUTIFUL (if any of you haven't heard it, I shall have to play it for you!), and is a stunning display from musical theatre. In true theatre style, the ending lends itself to the audience engulfing the last bars in waves of applause - this is what I expected, but no, QC did not do that. Instead, we actually ended the piece to about two seconds of profound and awestruck silence, before everybody managed to pick up their fallen jaws and applaud enthusiastically. It was amazing.

I taught my first piano lesson last Tuesday, to a fellow collegian. It was a fairly strange, but enjoyable experience. Strange, because I don't feel incredibly confident of my teaching abilities (or lack thereof...) but enjoyable because the student is incredibly enthusiastic about learning and playing the piano! On the subject of the piano, my piano lesson on Wednesday went well. It revolved around my Technical Exam (yes, the exam at the end of semester) and trying to work out a change of holiday plans such that I stay in Melbourne for longer (which I am). I felt kinda good when my teacher said, in response to me expressing concern about the upcoming exam, "Gladys, if you had to do your tech exam today, I wouldn't be worried." Well, I only felt good after I told a few people this and they thought positively of it. I actually didn't really know what to feel!

Anyway, so I am staying in Melbourne till the morning of the 26th. And I'm moving out of college on the 22nd, and hopefully staying at the Vic (pending the ok). So, the weekend I shall be having intensive piano lessons but the rest of the time shall be pretty much free - perhaps time to do some exploring? If anybody is around, let me know, perhaps we shall catch up?

Yesterday was Rowing Day!
The previous night was a Hilda's Open Turn, so I elected to sleep on the other side of J, where being subject to bad music was not possible. Gosh, Wen's doona is so warm! Haha.
However, not being subject to Hilda's makes one subject to the Queen's quad. Which I tell you, at 6am in the morning, is not very conducive to sleep. Yes, I was woken up at 6am to the Last Post (what the?!), Time to Say Goodbye, Bittersweet Symphony and other songs. (At least some of them I'd actually listen to..!) Rowing Day was definitely upon us as we started hearing the yells of "Wake up, Queeners!" and the door-bashing began. *Sigh*

We made it down to the tram stop, down to the Yarra and along the banks for a yummy hot cooked breakfast. The races started! We did very well, winning all our heats and (cutting a long story short), winning the Boys 1st and 2nd VIII (in the finals), coming 3rd in the 2nd Girls VIII and 2nd in the 1st Girls VIII (only to Ormond, but you know, half their crew are state rowers, so we're doing really well) and winning overall. It was a very exciting day, filled with great spirit and fun (although I can see why other colleges hate us..! Haha. We were very well-led by our UPRIC in cheers and other acts of college spirit!)

After it, Kenneth, Jey Han, Sze, Xing and I decided to go for lunch at Singapore Chom Chom rather than stay for yet another barbeque...I had Hainanese Chicken Rice (which they were attempting to teach me to say in chinese...I think I really failed..!) which was delicious! We definitely skipped the pub crawl home, headed home ourselves instead, and crashed into bed!

So that was my week-and-a-bit.

I should really go do something productive.....

No comments: