Saturday, March 25, 2006

So busy

Yep, been incredibly busy. But somehow, I still manage to talk too much and blog.....go figure!

So, finished the Global & Econometrics assignments on Tuesday night (due Wednesday and Thursday respectively). I felt so relieved that I took half and hour off before having to go do some piano practice. I've been practicing late at night this past week. It just seems like a good time. It works, so I'm pretty happy!

Mel n I went out with Chris and Erica to University Cafe (I think that's where it was!) last Saturday to catch up. It was really nice :) And of course, being out meant that we went and did that mandatory Safeway trip.

We watched the Comm Games marathon go right past the front gate of Queen's last Sunday morning. Right, so it meant having to get up fairly early (for a weekend) and shove some toast down and then heading out in the oh-so-convenient-college-colours-of-green-and-gold to support the runners :) Seriously, that is a fine effort....42km of blah. That's dedication, I say.

Monday Evening Programme during the week was Helen playing the Sibelius violin concerto in preparation for this Monday's University of Melbourne Orchestra Concert at the Hawthorn Town Hall (if anybody is interested in going, that'd be really cool...so I don't have to go by myself!). She was amazing!!!! The choir also sang a couple of folk pieces, Riu, riu (a Spanish carol) as well as Evening Song, a Kodaly piece....the folk influences were so clear!

F-turn was on Wednesday night. Wow, some people went to so much effort. Some people had such amazing costumes....I originally was going to be a fortune teller (Bohemian look is cool, because you can sort of chuck anything together, and that's the intended effect!) but on the suggestion of a friend, and careful consideration that I wouldn't really have to change my clothing requirements, I decided to go as a Fiddler (a la fiddler on the roof). At least I was the only one of those around! Min's foot fetish was the most original, although slightly disturbing..(I made it twice into the book...) and about feet, some girl stabbed my heel with her high heel. I don't think she realised, but she left the blood oozing out. Ouch.

On Thursday, it was the first time I played in Concert Class. I tell you, this is a nerve-wracking experience. It's good to get student feedback, but the nerves kick in when you see the Head of Keyboard sitting in the front row, also making comments. (Especially nerve-wracking for a piano student). We figured, both Gina and I haven't played, so we'd do it together, and revive those 3 movements from Faure's Dolly Suite that we played last year for Piano Duet. So, we were completely freaked out, but I took advice from Anne, who said to think about how I was playing one of the nicest pianos around.....a Steinway D (one of those real expensive ones in Melba Hall that the average person does not touch). She was right, it is a beautiful piano. Just lovely. My gosh, I could go on for a while about how nice the piano is. But ok, moving along...Thursday was just a long day. Sigh.

So, today....I did manage to get some work done. I am going to start work in the library next week (about 3 hrs a week, which should be managable!) and I met a friend to collect some music. I agreed to play a Mozart Clarinet Trio...the violinist is a 2nd year friend, and apparently the clarinettist is a postgrad student. That's a bit freaky...but hopefully I'll live up to expectations!

So, now it is incredibly late (as it is with me and those late-night-yet-still-make-it-to-breakfast things...) My assignment and readings/tute preparation for next week shall have to wait till after my slumber......and I will be working my butt off.

No comments: