Friday, March 17, 2006

Recent Revelations

Okay, so most of these have to do with music, but that's ok.

1) My friend plays the Chinese flute. Now how cool is that? She was telling me all about it, like how it's played, what kind of sounds are possible. I made her play a scale just to hear what kind of sounds/scales were possible and compared it to the Western transverse flute. Very interesting.

2) My other friend played this really random thing on his computer, and it sounded very much like there was an underlying track that sounded like one of the Set Listening Tracks from my music unit (FYI, the Tuvan example with sigit and igil). Although in this song (clearly some sort of remix or something like that...) the 'tonic' (I know, that's culturally specific) is different and it's played at almost twice the speed. But most interesting.

3) RE: My assignment about the hajduk songs of the Pirin region (Bulgaria/Macedonia). Now, what does that have to do with the Numa Numa song? Two totally random things, yes? But wait!
I was watching the 'original' (the American who lip-synched to it all) with the subtitles. And bear in mind that this song is originally from Moldovian Romania. Anyway, one of the lines contains the word haiduk, which it translated as "bandit". Now tell me, does "bandit" refer to "guerilla fighter"? I think there is something going on there....!!! It was amazing. Music & Ideas meshed with Queen's College random hit!

So, Music & Ideas has made all this sense. Amazingly. I even now talk about stuff with the knowledge and awareness that it is "culturally specific". Wow.

And I find it even funnier that the "New choir master" has made the "hot" list of the first QC Bulletin's "Hot or Not" list. hahahaha. He should know about it, do you think?

I think I had another revelation, but I can't remember it at the moment, so it can't be that important. Although if I remember, I will certainly make a mention of it!

No comments: