Tuesday, August 15, 2006

ramblings

adventures to middle park. get on tram 112 from Collins st, get off at harold st, stop 137. Walk back,turn down the lane behind 310A. there awaits a cream town house, the residence of my piano teacher.
her baby is Elizabeth Patricia. newborns are fairly shrivelly. that's my opinion anyway.

an electric keyboard. good thing it's weighted. pity it wasn't a piano. oh well. at least it exposed all my technical problems. gotta look on the bright side.

broke my first piano string. 12 August, 2006. C one octave from the top. was playing debussy. evidently with too much force. 'tis amoment in history.

sang a fabulous piece in chapel yesterday - "There is a Land of Pure Delight" by Grayston Ives. Thoroughly modern with a twist of the old. Or perhaps the other way: traditional with a twist of moderness. spent an age talking to people at jude's last night. ran into a guy who happened to live in perth for a little while, one of flick's friends from med, actually born in malaysia. and get this, his mother comes from melaka. and his grandparents used to live in melaka. i wonder if our grandparents knew each other. i would assume so, considering my grandparents are those kinds of 'socialite' people.. :P (hah...my grandmother once appeared on the front of the local paper, in a picture taken of her and her morning group doing tai chi in the park). my friends spent an age trying to get me to shut up, stop talking to everybody and get me out the door!

OB assignment, hurridly completed in some form tonight so I could send it to my tutor. Pity it's quite over the word limit and I still want to add a bit more, but I'm not sure whether it's relevant, and I also have no idea which bits I should cut.

an early start to today. phone left charging overnight, thought it'd be smart and turn itself off. lucky i woke up to realise this, saw the time as 6.15am and felt quite proud that i hadn't overslept or that i managed to wake up without my alarm (ok, so it was in shock. that's beside the point) alarm went off at 6.18am. hit snooze too many times, but still managed to have shower, get dressed and start practicing by just past 7am. not a bad effort. managed to practice about 4.5hrs today. am very proud of myself. my fingers hurt though (well, just my right index, because i'm developing a blister from playing debussy). am getting a bit frustrated with ravel at the present moment, but hopefully it's improving.

went to see benaud trio play in the lunchtime concert today. they were great. i really wish i could get a piano trio together. when we'd rehearse is a different matter. they played tchaikovsky's piano trio in a minor, op.50. interesting piano class too. discussing franck and faure. on my way coming home, ran into some people i knew. it's nice to run into friends at uni, whether they're college friends or not. came home and practiced more. dinner. work (study). more practice. it's almost holistic to do so much practice. draining though. incredibly. i have a sore wrist (long-standing ailment) and a blister (will goafter i stopplaying Debussy's Feux d'artifice)

am playing in concert class this thursday (1st yrs). playing 2 debussy preludes: Bruyeres and Feux d'artifice (thus the practice).
have also got roped in to accompanying a singer on open day, this sunday.
anne asked me to do it. i don't know why i agreed. probably because i'd really like to do accompanying. the more experience, the better is my philosophy. until i called up the singer (a 4th yr singer) and was told that we're presenting a 17-19 minute recital. that equates here to six new pieces in fourdays! excellent...we did pick the easierones, so some are easy, some aren't that easy. should be interesting.

will be having killer ofa week (killer -> very very busy). thursday isn't shaping up to be very good. might have to forgo themads turn. it's just a thing that can't be avoided. oh well. what can you do when you're nutty likeme?

and i should go to bed soon..it's been a very long day and i'm exhausted mentally.....

No comments: