Sunday, August 20, 2006

excerpt

from Gian Carlo Menotti's 'The Old Maid and the Thief'.
'What a curse for a woman is a timid man (Steal me, sweet thief)'

Steal me, Oh, steal me, sweet thief,
for time's flight is stealing my youth
and the cares of life steal fleeting time
Steal me, thief, for life is brief
and full of theft and strife.
And then with furtive step
death comes and steals time and life.
O sweet thief, I praymake me die
before dark death steals her prey.

Steal my lips before they crumble to dust.
Steal my heart before death must.
Steal my cheeks before they're sunk and decayed
Steal my breath before it will fade.
Steal my lips, steal my heart,
steal my cheeks, steal, oh steal my breath
and make me die before death will steal her prey.
Oh, steal me!
For time's flight is stealing my youth.

No comments: