Friday, March 02, 2007

1st week at uni

I officially had 8 hours of uni this week. Haha. Although I spent about 9 hours at uni yesterday.
So, contact hours clearly does not equate to how long one spends at university.

Mentor/O-Week/detox camp was at Camp Rumbug at Foster North, near Wilson's Prom.
It was a very pretty location. It was great to get to know some freshers better. Plus, it was fantastic to hang out, do not very much, sleep and watch movies! (All for the three hour drive each way!)
Unfortunately, the camp didn't have enough blankets for us all. So I huddled in my three layers of clothing under two blankets through a cold night....and went to the beach the next morning (which was very nice...I hardly ever go to the beach at home, particularly only living two kilometres from it!)...and subsequently got sick! Yep, fresher flu morphed into senior flu......it only took one day!

So, uni has gone pretty well.
Highlights have included rehearsals with Andrew.
The story here is that I accompanied him for the showcase concert class yesterday. He played the 3rd movt of the Gordan Jacob horn concerto, which is amazingly hard yet so fun. The piano part is ridiculously hard (Apparently Dean Sky-Lucas said that it was the hardest piece he had all year, in one year. Great...I started with it...!) Andrew played well, me not as well! But it stuck, which was good. Geoff was taking the class, which was a good and bad thing. But the class all in all was an amazing class.
After Concert Class, we had a MSS Welcome Back lunch which involved setting up, doling out pizza, beer and cruisers and signing people up for the MSS.

If you haven't joined the MSS, please do! If you are Student Union member, it doesn't cost you anything! If you aren't, it will only set you back $5, which I guarantee you will recover in one pizza lunch! Perks of joining the MSS include social events, pizza/other food events, cheaper tickets to Music Ball, academic representation. Stuff like that. And $5 isn't very much.
And if you have the rationale, "Well, I didn't have to have to pay anything before, and now I have to, and will get the same things", you are wrong! Because from now on, if you aren't an MSS member, you won't have access to our functions (or will at a higher price).

Other highlights include having Tuesday off due to no tutes running in the first week.
As well as walking into my Techs 2-1 lecture and having to say hi to so many awesome people! :) Lots of friends in this class, so that's really awesome!
Furthermore, I have some friends in my Inter Micro class, despite the lecturer not being thoroughly interesting (although today's lecture material was interesting).
Plus, Caroline replied to my text/email about lessons; we're starting next week, and hopefully I'll have lots to do then!
Also, Commencement Dinner was on Wednesday night. We spoon-banged the first two freshers who scored (much fun, the spoon-banging, not the scoring...!), we dressed up, we partayed. Photos to come in a little while. I surprised myself with a major scholarship! Hehe. Who would have known. To tell you the truth, I wasn't expecting anything because my grades for second semester weren't that crash hot (as recounted here). But alas, I kinda was in a general disarray of bemusement at myself as I walked up the aisle of Eakins Hall....!

It has been great getting back to uni to see all the familiar music faces. :)
Plus, it's not just music faces that I'm seeing now...it's also Commerce, other Queeners, and even some med kids! It's fantastic. :) I love it when I can go to uni, walk through to my class/other committment etc. and actually have to stop and say hi to people! I was standing outside the main library on Monday, waiting for a few friends, and seriously, about four friends passed by and I had to talk to them all..! It's a wonderful feeling :) I love having friends, and I thank God every day for them, for making my life a happier time :D

Alas, I shall post photos soon, and should get back to study...!

No comments: