Sunday, April 03, 2011

Les entretiens de la belle et de la bête (Conversation between Beauty and the Beast)

From Ma Mere L'Oye (Mother Goose Suite) - this text precedes the movement

- "When I think of your kind heart, you don't seem to me so ugly." - "Oh!
"Indeed! I have a kind heart, but I am a monster." - "There are many men who are greater monsters than you." - "If I possessed any wit, I would pay you a fine compliment by way of thanks, but I am only a beast.
...Beauty, will you be my wife?" - "No, Beast!..."
- "I die happy because I have the pleasure of seeing you one more time." -
"No, dear Beast, you shall not die: you shall live to become my husband!"
...The Beast vanished and she saw at her feet only a prince more handsome than Love itself who thanked her for breaking his spell.

(Mme Leprince de Beaumont)

No comments: