Saturday, July 07, 2012

The things that take up space in my head

I've spent much of this week by myself, on account of the holidays, and time to get stuck back into practice. This, of course, is a fairly solitary pursuit, and often results in many hours spent with myself and my own thoughts, only to cease practice and return home, where I live by myself. This has been aided by being ill all week and the desire to stay in and rest, though of course, I have not been going to bed abnormally early as my mind is still active! I often think other things and sometimes phrase it in my mind as a status update. But of course, too many status updates in one day with all these thoughts might lead others to believe that I do nothing other than conjure up status updates.

So, a blog post dedicated to things I've been thinking about, or amused by, this week. Some thoughts have already appeared as status updates, and I shall not repeat some of them, of which the choice is purely arbitrary.

Gladys:

"is learning from Poulenc's trio that when in doubt, return to the happy theme!"
"cannot help herself from giggling while practising the Poulenc trio."
"misses her friends dearly."
"is rediscovering Beethoven."
"is practising her viola face while doing her technical routine."
"is amused that she's smashing out Mozart cadenzi while Clemens Leske smashes out Brahms 2."
"is hugely satisfied after her day all to herself to practice."
"must be the most boring, nerdiest, but satisfied, person after a whole day of practice."
"Brahms Requiem: while listening, I never want this to end. While playing, I count down the pages till the end!"
"is making her glockenspiel debut in Townsville at AFCM!"
"thinks she's in love.....with the piano!"

Each day this week has re-affirmed that I love making music, listening to music and playing the piano. And without trying to make it all that my life is, for it cannot be, and should never be, it inevitably has shaped who I am to a large extent.

And I miss my friends big time. Especially those that have gone home to different parts of Australia. Some part of me wishes I could have gone home too, but remember that it was so expensive and that I have many things coming up. The weight of the world (not really, but felt like it) was lifted off upon receiving a reply from a friend to whom I had written about not being to do something that I had previously agreed to do. It often takes a moment of crisis and realisation for me to realise my over-enthusiasm and optimistic outlook of my abilities, capabilities and efforts. For me, it often takes my friends to confirm these things.

No comments: