Saturday, April 17, 2010

Quirkiness for today

When I look at weddings (you know, as you pass by, see photos, when I go to weddings etc), the order at which I look at stuff is 1. bridesmaid's dresses 2. flowers 3. bride's dress.

I hate it when my eyebrows are put the other way. I'll make them go in the right direction if they've been messed up.

I remember the play equipment we had in primary school quite distinctly. My favourite by far were the bars. They were metal, we did all sorts of fancy tricks; I spent most of those years with fantastic blisters on the palms of my hands.

I'm surprised when people tell me they like my collection iTunes. I think my taste is very eclectic - so much so that nobody would actually enjoy it.

I wish I'd kept up my violin learning. Orchestra looks so much more interesting for string players because they play so much. I'd rather be busy playing lots than bored counting rests.

Bad grammar irritates me. As does bad spelling.
Proper use of it's and its, they're and their and similar...

I used to think everybody had perfect pitch. And would get frustrated in primary school choir when the altos couldn't sing their notes. I found it easy - why didn't anybody else?? But I don't think it's particularly impressive or anything. It just is. I use it, I get frustrated with it sometimes.

I can't stand faffin' around. Straight to the point. But I'm not terribly confrontational myself.

If I don't enjoy a performance, I don't fake enthusiasm.

Over time, I have disliked shopping more and more. Mostly for clothes (because I think I'm weird-shaped and nothing fits right). And I'll always see if it comes in black.

But I increasingly enjoy shopping for food, including at the market and supermarket. Getting domestic much?

I'm not anywhere close to what I'd call an environmentalist, but I hate it when taps are left dripping, too many unnecessary lights are left on (though you need just one sometimes) or when the mains of minor appliances are left on. I also don't like it when mains are left on and there is nothing plugged in. I think I have this fear that if I touch the socket, I'll be electrocuted.

The line between work and enjoyment is mostly quite blurred for me.

I've always thought of myself as an introvert. Many of my friends would not agree with me.

I hope I was never one of those school girls that I pack onto public transport with and see in and about the city. Here and even back home now.

One of the sounds that I smile widely about is the bit just before an orchestra rehearsal - when everybody is kinda fiddling, warming up their instrument, tuning, making sure it all works, last-minute practice. And then it breaks as the oboe gives the A.

I like being a little bit surprising. For instance, many people are surprised when I tell them I like Muse (a classical musician?! No way! Way. They're hot.), and watching sports on TV. These include soccer, tennis, cricket and rugby union. True story.

Stuff I really wanted to do when I was a little girl:
Ballet, gymnastics, play the harp, play the flute

At the age of 12, I said my future would hopefully see me as a doctor, lawyer or architect. Or a marine biologist. Or lecturing somewhere like Cambridge, Oxford or Harvard. Hmmm, how things have changed........

Good harmony gets me. So does a good bass line and meaningful words.

I'm still learning how to say no.

I wish I wasn't so scared of driving.

I know I shouldn't, but I do have my favourites. You mightn't know, but I'd do so much to make it happen for you.

I used to drink milo every morning. These days I barely drink milk :( (I suppose, unless it's in my coffee, or it's chocolate milk. I don't even have much with my cereal now.)

It took me a long time to get to like myself. Especially what I look like. Now I'm quite comfy about me in my own skin.

No comments: