Thursday, May 15, 2008

up and down

....on an emotional shoestring

been running into a lot of people (mostly at uni) recently. it's nice. sometimes i stop for a chat. other times not, but that's cool too. it's the hi that's nice :)

went to the first part of a masterclass given by Bart van Oort, one of the world's most renowned fortepianists. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay as I had a lecture, but I should have just skipped it (I fell asleep anyway...), and listened to it on the web, and stayed for the rest of the class. Oh well, not much I can do now....

Had a number of rehearsals in the past few weeks. I suppose nothing new though...
last week, I counted that I had seven rehearsals in the week. Of all sorts. If these go for an average of 2hrs each, that's 14hrs! That is as much uni as I go to! No wonder I feel like so much of my week is given to uni activities (although not all of is uni related, admittedly...)

Actually spent one Friday night at home. A very rare occurence for me. But had an audition the next day - had to get out to Elsternwick for 9.45am. It was a pretty cool adventure, as I'd never been there. Then hung out for a little while, as I waited for the next audition. Then walked with J along the main street there, which was very cute. Stopped at a lovely bakery and this really nice girl served us. And by really nice, I mean that she wasn't pushy, but she was really helpful too. And just lovely. I like that kind of service. :)
I met somebody who knew a friend of mine, and got to act as an intermediary. It was pretty cool. I like that role, really :)

Had a 21st that night; it was pretty cool - Barbie themed. You can see the photos if you know where to look.....everybody looked fantastic, it was such a great (and funny!) idea. And the guys, I was impressed!

Missed Rowing Day, but didn't really mind about it. I figure, three years, plus had a 21st the night before. It was a good day to catch up on stuff, particularly as I spent the previous day running around Melbourne, getting ready for this party, and generally was quite unproductive.

Played in the soiree on Monday night with L. It went pretty well. She's preparing for the Geelong Advertiser Comp (regional section). It was a busy week....

Tuesday night: saw James Blunt at Rod Laver (the review can be found at Yet Another Review so I don't have to repeat myself..) Just got his new album from the network. Admittedly, some expletives in there, but overall, a good album. There are some really awesome songs! Not really sure what I think of him in general, but some of his music is not too bad!

Wednesday night: Queen's Ball. This was pretty good - I was pleasantly surprised by the music choices (in the previous few years, I haven't really enjoyed it....), and the venue was beautiful, though somewhat out of the way, but thankfully accessible by public transport). Came home that night fairly early (got home at about 12.30..?) and wrote my draft lead sheet for my jazz assignment. [I handed in the final thing today and my tutor was like "This is fantastic. The harmonies are well-thought out. As an assignment it's fantastic." (musically, there was one thing he didn't agree with, but that was a matter of opinion) I didn't tell him the basic harmony and melody were written at some unlikely hour....although I find in the past few years, I've had amazing creative ideas at such wee hours....mostly techniques ones, and have found the overwhelming urges to harmonise chorales, or write creative pieces for assignments, or had the overwhelming urge to transcribe parts at a weird hour...]

Thursday: well, I only had five hours sleep. Then woke up to do a little bit of practice and then head off to a 9.30am Melba Hall rehearsal. Then to play in Concert Class.....(probably not the best idea on my part, for the night before...). This was finally the chance we got to play the Sextet for All Years. Except that there were about 40 people who missed it because they were standing outside. I should have started later.. :( Oh well...it's the past now....
But there were good comments, and I had lots of fun doing it. One of the msot enjoyable collaborations, I think. Had dinner with K, M and J that night, because J and I couldn't go to M's going away thing the night before. We went Vietnamese - it was fantastic. Then we thought it'd be a good idea to get gelate. It was FREEZING! But so much fun. :) Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to M (like, for three months..! sniff..!). But then we had a Arutiunian rehearsal, which was good.

Had my first weekend off (in four weeks!) It was quite wonderful. Went out for dinner on the Sat with H and R to Stalactites, which was wonderful. I'd heard lots about the place, but hadn't actually tried it yet. We stayed for a while (ok, so we started late...), but that place is open 24/7, so I suppose it's easy to lose sense of time if you're having a good time and chatting, because they won't kick you out! But I had time on the weekend to clean, do some chores, and even to bake..!

Unfortunately, got sick this week.
So, cancelled a few social engagements, which makes me sad because I like social engagements :P
[As A said, "What do you mean a 'maybe'??? This is you, the 'I'm so social' one! How can you be only a 'maybe' for my birthday??!?!?!?" Hahaha...]
Felt pretty gross and snotty, but you know, had to go to some things eg. last rehearsals.....but otherwise, limiting myself to the very necessary.

Will be playing in class four times in four weeks. The more I think about it, the more intense it is. I hope people don't get sick of me! I hope that person that wrote comments like "Your playing is BEAUTIFUL" writes more of that. Or maybe that lots of people think that :) K made a comment last night "You're doing pretty well for youself, on piano, that is." I was a bit confused by this, actually. Because I think "There are heaps of people much better than me. I'm doing ok, but you know, just ok. It's good."


Unfortunately haven't had piano lesson for two weeks now. The first one was cancelled by me. The 2nd one by my teacher because she had the 'flu. Probably the best thing.....even though I also got sick. I'm just not sure how I'm going....but she always reassures me that I'll be more than prepared for my exam. I took great heart from her when I called her to cancel my lesson....I said that I hadn't had such a great week (which was true, mostly because I hadn't felt my practice was productive, nor had I had much time to devote to it...), and she asked all sorts of things like "Are you ok? How is piano going? Is it your practice that is getting you down? What are you working on now? How is uni going in general? How is commerce going?" and then she proceded to tell me that she had confidence in me, and that I was one of her best students. I worry, but smiled too. Worry because I know I'm not the best. But I don't mind not being the best - that's a tough call..!

Booked (well, not me, but S) tickets to Tasmania for after-exams. Yay! Besides music tour in 2001 (ok, which is slightly 'contrived', in terms of who goes), and exchange to USA with a friend (who initially was a girl I went to school with, but became a friend), I've never been on a trip with friends. So this will be lots of fun. There's 7 (possibly 8) of us hanging out for just under a week. It should be awesome. It's a good group of people, we'll get to spend time with each other - and I genuinely do enjoy hanging out with each of these people, and can't wait to get to know them even better. I think there could be something beautiful about these friendships!

Now I just have to get through the last two weeks (and one day) plus exams before then.......
there is much hard work to be put in......

No comments: