Sunday, October 07, 2007

"It's funny to see how you deal with this 'celebrity' thing"

So says Samantha.....well, thank you very much....! Haha.

This was in direct response to events that occurred recently...this is the story...

I was standing in the foyer at the Con (as I do quite regularly, although I usually sit..) and was approached by a clarinettist in my year who asked whether I was around in December, and if I was, whether I wanted to accompany him in a 3MBS recital. Which is quite cool. I said I'd think about it, so long as the date wasn't after I had left Melbourne, obviously...it'd be a good way of getting out there even more. I was a bit freaked when he later told me that the Debussy was quite hard, but I'm up for the challenge. But I guess also so long as it didn't interfere with me doing my exams properly..!

So, we were discussing it the next day (some more) and a bassoonist in my year also kinda came over and asked whether I'd play for her in this week's Faculty Concerto Competition. The schedule came out really late, and so many competitors have been rushing like crazy to book accompanists, who don't really like late notice (like me..!). And because some accompanists just work on the basis of first-come, first-served, it has been really difficult to secure one. Which means many people are asking piano students, but again, not many piano students will readily say yes to preparing an orchestral reduction in less than a week! I said yes to this one because I've already played the 2nd movement, plus the 1st movement in an orchestra so at least I have heard it before. And also, she's good, and I like playing with good people :) It's a good opportunity to do stuff!

As she was checking things, I was talking to some friends. She came back to discuss the appropriate time and finer details, when a french hornist was listening in and kinda jumped on board and almost gushed, "will you play for me?!" And even though I've played parts of his before (he assumed it was just first movement, which I've played, but it's actually all or part of the concerto, 15-20mins worth, so he might have reconsidered how much he plays), I basically turned it down. Which is a bit sad, because it would have been fun, but I think then I would have been stretching myself too thin. And really working too hard at accompanying instead of my own recital programme at the moment! But I hope he understands that pianists sometimes can be overworked!

I guess I was pretty surprised that the three people who asked me to play for them actually did ask me. Do people actually think I can do it all? (That wasn't supposed to sound frustrated nor exasperated. It was more incredulous, more than anything. Like, wow, people want me to do that kind of stuff? They trust me that much? Wow...!) You see, the Con is a bit like a celebrity ring (good or bad, I just think it is). There are those people who everybody knows, who are at the top. People like that don't really talk to people like me, I think. They're just kinda...far above me. Yeah, there are Con celebrities (this was definitely more prevalent or at least more evident in my first and second years), those who are usually amazing at what they do, and usually hang out with similarly ranked 'celebrities'. That's the way I see it. I don't view it as good or bad, it just...exists. I suppose that happens in the performing or fine arts in general (as a broad overstatement).

And somehow Samantha seems to think I have somehow developed into one of these. I really don't think so. She reckons that it's because I play in class. Which is a good thing; playing in class is a good way of getting out there and making your mark (which I am trying to do!) - and opens up lots of opportunities, as I have experienced this year, I think (with a little help from amazing teachers). But, 'celebrity'? I beg to differ - I'm still the same me, still hanging out with the same friends, still doing my thing. Just more of it, I suppose! There are still those people far above me, I'm definitely not in their league! I'll just continue striving to do the best I can, hopefully attaining high levels of music and continue playing with those who want to play with me, and those who will push me.

And that's how I'm 'dealing' my my supposed climb.....

1 comment:

gina said...

Gladyz, you ARE one of the stars at the con. No doubt about it. You just can't see it yourself. =)